Tuesday, March 11, 2008


Dear Brutally Honest Babes:
I am about to graduate from high school. I have been dating the same guy for 2 years now. His dad hates me. My birthday is next week and I will be turning 18. My boyfriend is not quite a year younger than me. His dad said if we keep dating after I turn 18 he will call the police and I will be arrested for corrupting a minor or something like that. What can I do?
Troubled Teen

Dear Not Exactly Mrs. Robinson:
Well, that's a doozy. We regretfully inform you that while this whole situation really sucks for both you and your slightly less mature boyfriend, legally, his father could cause you a world of hurt if he so chooses. As much as we (OK, Ethel, at least) fancy younger men, we can only advise that you wait for him to grow up a little, for your own sake. Darn, that's harsh. But vaguely attractive middle school teachers and, of course, priests, have had to go and ruin it for everybody. The law is black and white. You may consider visiting a free legal advice website and inquire as to whether there may be some grey area surrounding your own plight, but on the whole, we think it might be wiser if you and boyfriend part for a time, while you start checking out college boys. Slightly older, beer guzzling frat boys might be a nice change of pace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Remember that the age of consent in many states is 16. Best to look into your state's legal code to see what's really there, or visit a free legal clinic. It really is possible that jerkface dad has no legal grounds to stand on and is just using idle threats to scare you.